[tex-live] Packages with non-free catalogue-license

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Thu Oct 4 21:54:23 CEST 2012

Hi Ulrich,

    Looking at the corresponding CTAN pages of these packages, I see that
    all of them are marked as having a different (free) license;

How non-coincidental :).  As Robin wrote, we spend lots of time on
licensing stuff, contacting authors, etc.  All of those packages were
previously noted and fixed, one way or another.

    So I wonder, does TeX Live really include non-free packages,

No (http://tug.org/texlive/copying.html).  Nonfree material is regarded
as a bug and removed when found.  I have a cron job that checks the
licenses stated in the Catalogue for all packages in TL, and when one is
found to be nonfree, it is fixed or removed.  Robin and I communicate
(more than) regularly about all this stuff.

    or is texlive.tlpdb just outdated?

Well, the one in TL's development svn is not outdated :).  I can't do
anything about the past, obviously -- the Catalogue and TL are updated
independently.

karl