[tex-live] Bug in luaTeX font machinery

Struebing, Axel, le-tex axel.struebing at le-tex.de
Thu Nov 29 13:43:48 CET 2012

Dear all,

The luatex fontloader does check for caches in the system dirs but does not
generates them there, even if executed by root.

I am not absolutely sure, if this is the right place ...
Generally I install TeX Live without valid user directories for specific
reasons: That means e.g. TEXMFCACHE = /NOWHERE where
NOWHERE is a nonexistent directory.

Than the following LuaTeX sample takes a long time to compile:
------
\documentclass{minimal}
\usepackage{luaotfload}
\font\mytestfont{Linux Libertine O} at 10pt
\begin{document}
\mytestfont Hello World!
\end{document}
------

The fontloader is always looking for some caches and decides to rebuild it but
never generates them even as root.

Using mkluatexfontdb doesn't help either (as root too).

I have prepared and attached a patch that tries to generate the cache in
systemdir if it fails in localdir.

Obviously this only works for privileged accounts but that suits my needs and
solved the problem.

--
kind regards
Axel Strübing