[tex-live] w32 perl

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at cybercomm.nl
Sat Nov 24 21:18:13 CET 2012

There have been some intractable installation problems with TL, in
particular on w7 64-bit. Something worth trying is compiling Perl
without optimization. Since almost all the work is done by external
programs, the actual performance hit should be negligible.

The current install-tl.zip is based on the new non-optimized Perl
5.16.2, but still installs the old optimized Perl 5.14.2, for use by
e.g. tlmgr/TeX Live Manager. To update the _installed_ perl, use the
tlcritical repository ftp://tug.org/texlive/tlcritical, see also
http://www.tug.org/texlive/tlmgr.html under `Test versions'.

We would like from people how they fare especially on 64-bits w7
with the new perl: no more problems, or which new or old problems?

I do not recall any particular inexplicable problems with the
installed Perl, but if new problems crop up then of course we would
like to know about it.

--
Siep Kroonenberg