[tex-live] `texdoc texsort' gives `cuted.pdf'

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Sun May 27 12:33:44 CEST 2012

Werner LEMBERG <wl at gnu.org> wrote:

> [I write to this list since Robin is reading this too.]
>
> The command
>
>   texdoc texsort
>
> displays `cuted.pdf' (from the `sttools' bundle), which describes
> itself as
>
>   Insert some onecolumn material in full-width on double-column page.
>
> However, `texsort' in the package description reads
>
>   Sort/compress numerical lists.

however, there is no actual documentation of texsort -- i suspect that
the files in sttools/doc were an afterthought, which didn't generate
enough impetus to finish the job.

> This doesn't fit to this document.  Note that all other PDF files from
> the `sttools' bundle aren't related either.

i guess that texsort is/was a spinoff from some other part of the
sttools bundle.

> BTW, a very special beast is the file `presfull.pdf' (also from
> sttools): Starting with page 7, there is completely unrelated stuff!
> At least I think that pages related to `Leukocyte Chemotactic Factor
> Production' and `Acetylcholine receptors, nicotinic' are not, hmm,
> on-topic :-)

i've read some (but obviously not all) of that file.  note that its
status is "nosource" so it shouldn't be in tex live at all...

i agree that documentation of texsort is overdue, but i can't guess how
the effect arises, and i've no spare time to remedy either deficit.

robin