[tex-live] Sorting out updmap/updmap-sys-troubles

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Thu May 24 13:15:07 CEST 2012

Am Thu, 24 May 2012 10:34:57 +0200 schrieb Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard:

>> But what I meant is: If the default installation for "normal" users
>> is/should be a single user installation

> There is no such thing as a single user installation of TeX Live. Only a
> multi-user installation that happens to be used by only one user.

> This is completely independent from whether you need administrative privileges
> to install or not. On Unix it is perfectly doable to install as a normal user
> without any (knowledge of) administrative account and still have the resulting
> installation be used by many users.

But probably such a normal user can't create local trees in the home
directory ("user profile" on windows) of other user. So I assume the
other user will have to extend the installation somehow at first
use.

Imho something like this could also be done on windows.

> But maybe we could/should indeed create a "single user" installation option
> (obviously not this year)

I think that is a good idea. Quite a lot users want simply to use
TeX for themselves, don't really understand the difference between
using a tool "as admin" or "as user", and are bewildered that local
user configurations and files take precedence over the files of the
the almighty admin.

--
Ulrike Fischer