[tex-live] Sorting out updmap/updmap-sys-troubles

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Tue May 22 16:17:49 CEST 2012

Hello,

one recurrent problem with font installation is caused by mixed
calls of updmap and updmap-sys (or on miktex of updmap / updmap
--admin).

While it is normally rather easy (for me) to identify the cause of
the problem I find it difficult (as a Windows and MikTeX user) to
tell TeXLive users what to do to resolve the problem. I would find
it useful if some exact informations could be collected to help
people to sort out the map files without breaking something else.

So here a list of questions:
(Assuming a current TeXLive)

A. updmap
=========
1. Which updmap.cfg's is updmap reading
   a) root names as "kpse-variable"
   b) a typical path on unix
   c) a typical path on windows

2. Which updmap.cfg does "updmap --enable Map" change?

3. In which texmf tree does updmap write the map-files?

4. Which map-files does updmap write?

5. Does updmap generate a log-file by default?

   If yes: where is it on unix
                          on windows
           when you call updmap manually
           and when updmap is executed by tlmngr (if ever)

   If not: How can you force updmap to write a log-file?

B. updmap-sys
=============
1. Which updmap.cfg's is updmap-sys reading
   a) root names as "kpse-variable"
   b) typical path on unix
   c) typical path on windows

2. Which updmap.cfg does "updmap-sys --enable Map" change?

3. In which texmf tree does updmap-sys write the map-files?
   a) root names as "kpse-variable"
   b) typical path on unix
   c) typical path on windows

4. Which map-files does updmap-sys write?

5. Does updmap-sys generate a log-file by default?
   If yes: where is it on unix
                       on windows
           when you call updmap-sys manually
           and when updmap-sys is executed by tlmngr
   If not: How can you force updmap-sys to write a log-file?

6. Does it matter if you run updmap-sys (with sudo?) in a user
account or in an admin account?

C. Resolving troubles
=====================

1. Revert updmap and use updmap-sys from now on:
  a) What is the best way to delete local map-files generated by
updmap?
  b) What is the best way to merge map-files added by "updmap
--enable Map" to the updmap.cfg of updmap-sys?

2. The other way round: If a user would prefer to use updmap from
now on: What should he do to activate all map files which had been
added with "updmap-sys --enable Map"? (Or do they work already??)

--
Ulrike Fischer