[tex-live] movie15 and media9

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Mon Mar 19 21:34:31 CET 2012

On 2012-03-19 at 10:46:52 +0100, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

 > Hi all,
 >
 > It is probably a good thing that these days I do not read email on
 > Sunday, otherwise I could not have resisted jumping into the
 > discussion as it unfolded. This morning I read all of it at once,
 > and looking at how long the thread is already with all the heated
 > replies that have been posted, I have no real interest any more in
 > jumping in.
 >
 > Nevertheless ...
 >
 > On 03/18/2012 11:01 PM, Karl Berry wrote:
 > > The short-term answer, as pointed out by several people (thank
 > > you), is that these packages and any others can be put into
 > > tlcontrib.  That's one of the reasons tlcontrib was created.
 > > (That is, I don't speak for tlcontrib, but that's my
 > > understanding from Taco's article that I edited. :) (By the way,
 > > in the TL'12 release it will be easier to use multiple
 > > repositories.)
 >
 > Yes, tlcontrib exists for such packages. Actually, tlcontrib only
 > exists because of a similar tex-live thread years ago!
 >
 > Tlcontrib is not perfect by any means (and I have not done a lot of
 > work on it in the past year because I have been swamped with bill-
 > paying work) but last I checked, it worked fairly well with TL2011,
 > and that will only get better. If I remember the (partially
 > internal) emails from Norbert correctly, then in TL2012 users will
 > even be able use both tlnet and tlcontrib at the same time. In any
 > case, Norbert and Karl have both been very, very helpful in making
 > tlcontrib work nicely with texlive.

Hi Taco,
one suggestion:  Tlcontrib contains both, stable (nonfree) macro
packages as well as beta testing stuff.  Would it be possible to have
the stable stuff in a separate repository/directory?

This would allow users to "update --all" from tlcontrib without worrying
about the beta stuff.  I suppose that the majority of users is afraid
of the non-stable packages.  However, the --all option is quite
convenient because one automatically gets the files removed from TL
immediately without the need to specify particular packages.

And maybe (Norbert knows best whether it's possible), packages could
be uploaded to TLcontrib before they are removed from TL.  Karl could
announce removals on the TLcontrib list, maybe one or two days in
advance.  Then, if users update from both repos, they don't even
notice that something was removed from TL.

WDYT?

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25