[tex-live] movie15 and media9

John Minter jrminter at rochester.rr.com
Sun Mar 18 23:48:16 CET 2012

First, let me thank Karl for his well-reasoned post. I very much
appreciate his work and that of the other maintainers. I did want to
make one observation about the last  paragraph - I think it suffers
from the logical fallacy of "the excluded middle."

There is a completely viable option for us all to be happy: We
gratefully use TeX Live as packaged and if we also desire to use a
package that is not consistent with the license policy, we can
download it from CTAN or the author's site and install it in
texmf-local. I anticipate that some will object that this is daunting
for many users. It was for me the first time. I read the documentation
and learned how. We must all remember that TL is user-supported
software. That has consequences. We are all free to learn to support
our own systems, find a friend to help, or purchase support.

I hesitated to write this because the topic had already filled my mail
box and, to paraphrase a Star Trek episode, "The horse is dead, Jim."
However, I do think it important to remind ourselves that we can
install software in texmf-local...

Best regards,
John