[tex-live] movie15 and media9

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 15:34:02 CET 2012

2012/3/18 Khaled Hosny <khaledhosny at eglug.org>:
> On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 09:34:00PM +0900, Norbert Preining wrote:
>> Hi Mojca,
>>
>> >    "rm movie15, requires acrobat"
>>
>> I don't know the details, but if pdfs generated with movie15 can only
>> be properly viewed wirh acro*, then it is according to the policy to
>> remove it.
>
> Sorry, but this is nonsense. PDF is now an ISO standard, if FOSS reading
> implementation are currently lacking support of a certain feature, why
> this would be of a concern to TeXLive maintainers? As long as generating
> the document does not require a non-free software.

A few years ago I talked personally to Adobe chief programmer (when
they showed there products publicly in Prague). I asked why Adobe
Distiller is not available for OS/2 and whether they plan to do it. He
answered that the format is documented, all the books can be freely
downloaded so that anybody can make such a program. They even changed
the format because up to 1.2 PDF could only used patented LZW
compression. Adobe did not like it and introduced other compressions
in order to allow PDF creation by free tools.

--
Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/