[tex-live] Package's maintainer question: font installation

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Sat Mar 3 00:13:28 CET 2012

Hi Miguel,

On Fr, 02 Mär 2012, Miguel V. S. Frasson wrote:
> We deveped a package with .sty file and fonts for typeset music sheets,
> called gregorio.  It works fine in TeXlive and other distributions, but it

Great.

> requires, obviouly, font installation. We like to upload everything to
> CTAN, in such way that users could install everything with tlmg.  The fonts
> are in several formats.
>
> The question: Is it just to upload the files (TDS tree) to CTAN that would
> create a package for tlmg, or we have to do something more to get it
> working (eventually)?

CTAN and tlmgr are in some sense independent. We (= TeX Live team)
pull from CTAN, so you have to upload it to CTAN. But you can upload
in any way you like, as long as it is somehow reasonable.
We will then care for the rest and adjust our routines to install
your package into TeX Live.

Be reminded of two things:
- if you provide a .tds.zip file, then it is useful, *BUT* only if it
  is always in sync with the rest of the files. (Sometimes it happened
  that only the files were changed and the tds.zip didn't :-(
  I don't know how complex your package is, but if it only consists
  of some fonts, accompanying files (tfm, vf, pfb, otf, ..), support
  TeX files etc, then it is very easy to install them automatically.

- finally, don't forget that the license must be free, otherwise it
  will not be included in TL. And if your package also includes
  programs (scripts, compiled, ...) it might take longer to be
  included.

Best wishes

Norbert