[tex-live] Distributed VCS (was: Debian freeze - last chance for changes)

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 15:28:33 CEST 2012

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 1:51 PM, Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at> wrote:
> On Fr, 22 Jun 2012, Peter Breitenlohner wrote:
>> during the TL freeze I have accumulated lots of small changes in my working
>> copy, many of them in an attempt to minimize the TL vs W32TeX diffs.
>
> BTW, one of the reason why I would like to have a DVCS instead of svn
>        hg incoming http://somewhere.of.peter/...

I never tried it, but doesn't git provide an interface for SVN?
    http://viget.com/extend/effectively-using-git-with-subversion

Meaning that you could create a git repository out of svn, pull/merge
changes from Peter's branch and commit back to central SVN repository.
Suboptimal, and you would have to convince all the other people from
which you want to pull to use git.

I see two minor problems with TeX Live and, say, git (I don't know mercurial):
- getting numerical values for package versions (one could in
principle use timestamps)
- The size. I sometimes checkout just the folder with translations to
do a minor translation commit. In git that is a bit more complicated.

Mojca