[tex-live] tl-install needs too much disk space

Lars Madsen daleif at imf.au.dk
Mon Jul 30 16:24:34 CEST 2012

Norbert Preining wrote, On 2012-07-12 11:22:
> On Mi, 13 Jun 2012, Leo Liu wrote:
>> When I installed TeX Live 2012 pretest on Windows, I noticed that it
>> costs too much disk space for compressed packages. The achieves in
>> texlive/temp/*.xz are not deleted in time.
>

> That is on purpose. In case the installation breaks at some point,
> a simple restart with the same target director will *re-use*
> all the already downloaded packages.
>
> So we keep them on purpose, they will be removed at the end of
> the installation.
>
> I think nowadays with disk space normally abundant 1.5 or so extra G
> is not so much pain?!?
>
>> Would it be changed? Thanks.
>
> I don't think that changing this default for the rare case that someone
> is so low on disk space pays of the disadvantage to maybe be
> required to re-download all the packages ...
>
> But I guess we are open for suggestions.
>
> Best wishes

then at least the installer should mention this

I just ran into this as well. User has 4Gb left on his HD, installer
says TL will need 3Gb, but we ran out of space during the installation.

would it be possible to add an extra option to add the temp files in a
separate folder (on a separate partition, say)

--

/daleif