[tex-live] PDFLaTeX error in TeXWorks

Iudicello, Jeffrey Jeffrey.Iudicello at drbc.state.nj.us
Thu Jul 19 16:05:05 CEST 2012

Hello-

I recently downloaded and installed a version of TeXWorks onto a Windows XP machine.  Unfortunately, I am not able to get documents to typeset, and an error message consistently occurs that says:

****
This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.4-1.40.13 (TeX Live 2012/W32TeX)
restricted \write18 enabled.
Failed to find cnffile fmtutil.cnf.
Running the command C:\texlive\2012\bin\win32\fmtutil.exe
I can't find the format file `pdflatex.fmt'!

kpathsea: Running mktexfmt pdflatex.fmt

The command name is C:\texlive\2012\bin\win32\mktexfmt
****

I am quite familiar with making documents in LaTeX but not with the functionality and computer programming aspect of the program.  If you can provide any help, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.