[tex-live] changed hyphenation after update to texlive 2012

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Sun Jul 15 10:50:35 CEST 2012

Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at> wrote:

> > %(a) the filename (the portion before the extension, if any)
> > %    must not match any of :
> > %
> > %        UKHYPH                  UK-HYPH
> > %        UKHYPHEN                UK-HYPHEN
> > %        UKHYPHENS               UK-HYPHENS
> > %        UKHYPHENATION           UK-HYPHENATION
> > %        UKHYPHENISATION         UK-HYPHENISATION
> > %        UKHYPHENIZATION         UK-HYPHENIZATION
> > %
> > %   regardless of case, and
>
> Exactely that, don't you think it is *ridiculuous*?
>
> At least I do. LPPL would have been better.

but it didn't exist at the time that the uk hyphenation patterns finally
saw the light of day.

> But anyway, it is like it is, not that I care much, but it just makes
> life soooo much harder for others (like distributors) with this
> children game

i don't know about anyone else, but my department, at that time,
compiled its own tex, and used a collection of .sty files that had
accumulated over time.  the idea of distributions started (for me) when
we authorised puchase of a cd-writer for sebastian's work on the first
tex live.

frankly, i thought at the time that the idea of writing *any* sort of
licence other than don's was too much like hard work.

so, imo, criticism of the licence in the file "needs to tread
carefully".  the licence may seem ott from today's pov, but this is
"now", and the licence was written "back then".

robin
(trying to calm the flames, for once...)