[tex-live] changed hyphenation after update to texlive 2012

Martin Afanasjew martin-lists at afanasjew.de
Sat Jul 14 21:18:29 CEST 2012

On 2012-07-14 19:57, Philip TAYLOR wrote:
> Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>
>> Here is a citation from Wikipedia:
>
>> "As a consequence, for example, the United Kingdom is officially
>> assigned the alpha-2 code GB rather than UK, based on its official
>> name "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland"
>> (although UK is reserved on the request of the United Kingdom)."
>
> So if "UK" is reserved on the request of the United Kingdom, why
> is it being used to designation "Ukraine" as in :

The answer is that it is not used to designate "Ukraine" (the country)
but "Ukranian" (the language). More precisely, the first part is the
language code (ISO 639-1), which is indeed "uk" for Ukranian. The second
part (if present) is the country code (ISO 3166) and would be "ua" for
Ukraine (but is omitted here, because there is no need for
disambiguation like for English, which has UK, US, CA, etc. variants).

-Martin