[tex-live] changed hyphenation after update to texlive 2012

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk
Sat Jul 14 03:58:59 CEST 2012

Norbert Preining wrote:

 > Hi Phil,
 >
 > That was all fine besides ...
 >
 >> it must NOT be redistributed with the same or similar name.
 >

 > The problem was that these resteictions were/are ridiculously stupid
 > to the effect that any occurrence of "uk", "hy" etc in the new
 > filename was forbidden.

Shall we look at the actual words ?

% File: ukhyphen.tex
% TeX hyphenation patterns for UK English

% Unlimited copying and redistribution of this file
% is permitted so long as the file is not modified
% in any way.
%
% Modifications may be made for private purposes (though
% this is discouraged, as it could result in documents
% hyphenating differently on different systems) but if
% such modifications are re-distributed, the modified
% file must not be capable of being confused with the
% original.
%
%(a) the filename (the portion before the extension, if any)
%    must not match any of :
%
%        UKHYPH                  UK-HYPH
%        UKHYPHEN                UK-HYPHEN
%        UKHYPHENS               UK-HYPHENS
%        UKHYPHENATION           UK-HYPHENATION
%        UKHYPHENISATION         UK-HYPHENISATION
%        UKHYPHENIZATION         UK-HYPHENIZATION
%
%   regardless of case, and
%
%(b) the file must contain conditions identical to these,
% except that the modifier/distributor may, if he or she
% wishes, augment the list of proscribed filenames.

The intention is clear : anyone who modifies the file may not
seek to pass it off as the original ("passing off" is a well-
defined act in British English, and any attempt to pass some-
thing off is usually a criminal act).

 > That made and still makes many people angry and doubting the
 > intentions.

The intentions are made clear in the prededing prose;

% Modifications may be made for private purposes (though
% this is discouraged, as it could result in documents
% hyphenating differently on different systems) but if
% such modifications are re-distributed, the modified
% file must not be capable of being confused with the
% original.

 > If it would be only the name ukhyphen as a whole, fine with that, but
 > what was written in the license conditions in this file made me laugh
 > out loud many times.

26 lines, compared to (e.g.,) 415 lines in the LPPL.  A simple,
straightforward licence that allows unlimited copying and redistribution
of the file so long as it is not modified,
allows modifications for private use, and ensures that anyone
modifying the file cannot attempt to pass it off as the original.

** Phil.