[tex-live] changed hyphenation after update to texlive 2012

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk
Sat Jul 14 00:13:23 CEST 2012

Robin Fairbairns wrote:

> [btw, someone mentioned that the pattern file for uk english may have
> been replaced, yet your evidence is that it hasn't...  the non-freeness
> of the original derived from the oxford university press' insistence on
> no change to the patterns, which were derived from oup files.]

I do not recall OUP insisting on this, but I do believe that Dominik
and I were in complete agreement with Don as regards hyphenation files :
once created, the file ("UKHYPHEN.TEX", at the time, I think) must
remain immutable, otherwise legacy documents cannot be re-processed
in the future to produce, and it was for this reason that the file
contained imperatives to the effect that, if the contents were changed
for any reason, it must NOT be redistributed with the same or similar
name.  Dominik may well wish to contribute to this thread.

** Phil.