[tex-live] [i18n-no] Fwd: [Scribus 0005322]: Hyphenation patterns distributed without license and copyright information

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 11:30:35 CET 2012

2012/1/29 Zdenek Wagner wrote:
> Hei Axel,
>
> although I can understand Norwegian, I am a bit confused. The subjects
> speaks about Scribus, the body about hyphenation patterns for
> OpenOffice but is sent to TeX Live list.

The file with patterns says:
    % Please send bugs or suggestions to tex-live (at) tug.org.
I guess this is the main reason why the mail was sent to this list.

> Does is mean that the
> hyphenation patterns are identical?

Hyphenation patterns for Norwegian for OpenOffice come from TeX, like
most patterns do. And most probably Scribus just takes patters from
OpenOffice (I didn't check that).

See http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/project/Norwegian_dictionaries

The package for OpenOffice seems to contain only GPL licence (but it
also contains spell-checker etc.)

But I don't speak Norwegian, so I'm not exactly sure what the
discussion was about.

> Moreover, the license is not clear
> to me. The copyright notice requires "no modification" so that its
> category would probably be "nonfree" but another notice mentions GPL.
> Could you be more precise? And I am afraid that most subscribers of
> the TeX Live list do not understand Norwegian.

You could also write to
    tex-hyphen (at) tug.org
but please write in English ;)

A note to the original poster: TeX now uses patterns from
    http://tug.org/svn/texhyphen/trunk/hyph-utf8/tex/generic/hyph-utf8/patterns/tex/hyph-no.tex?view=markup
    http://tug.org/svn/texhyphen/trunk/hyph-utf8/tex/generic/hyph-utf8/patterns/tex/hyph-nb.tex?view=markup
    http://tug.org/svn/texhyphen/trunk/hyph-utf8/tex/generic/hyph-utf8/patterns/tex/hyph-nn.tex?view=markup
which is the mentioned file from CTAN (FTP link posted in your
original mail), converted into UTF-8. We intent to clean up the
licences one day. We never actually contacted any author (apart from
the one who added two hyphenation exceptions is 2007 to differentiate
between nn and nb).

Mojca