[tex-live] status of latex/contrib/calender

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 23:30:47 CET 2012

2012/1/8 Andreas Würl <andreas at wuerl.net>:
> Thank you all for the clarification.
>
> >From my point of view, the first paragraph of the statement in question only deals with the case that the software is going to be modified before is distribution, which is not the case here.

At least it has to be repackaged so that it matches the requirements
of TL infrastructure. It is hard to say whether the lawyers would
consider it modification or not.

> The second paragraph of the statement addresses distribution of the unmodified files and explicitly allows to take money for the distribution if it is only a nominal charge for copying etc.

The DVD is produced by for-profit manufacturers and reselled by
for-profit bookstores. The price is therefore certainly higher than a
nominal charge for copying.

> Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think in this case a distribution of the calendar files is legal and covered by the original license.

If I give it to you personally on a CD and ask you just for a price of
the media and postage, it would be the nominal charge for copying but
I will lose money. Due to Czech copyright law when buying any media I
am forced to pay fee to musicians and other people from the
entertainment industry. If I ask you to refund me this fee, I will ask
more than a nominal charge for copying, thus if I do not want to lose
money, I cannot send it to you. The no-sell type license thus
prohibits redistribution and everybody has to download it personally.

--
Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/