[tex-live] bibtex8 on Linux do not work with Windows-styled .bst files

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Fri Feb 10 09:30:44 CET 2012

Pavel Parkhomenko <ra85551 at gmail.com> wrote:

> When I try to use bibtex8 with Windows-styled .bst files in Linux
> (i.e. there are CR+LF at the end of each line instead on traditional
> Linux single LF),
> bibtex8 ends up with an error:
>

> *****     bibtex8 -H -c cp1251 autoref
> *****
> The 8-bit codepage and sorting file: cp1251.csf
> The top-level auxiliary file: autoref.aux
> The style file: gost705.bst
> " "can't start a style-file command---line 14 of file gost705.bst
>  :
>  :
> (Error may have been on previous line)
> (There was 1 error message)
>
> gost705.bst mentioned in the example above can be found in disser
> package at http://citylan.dl.sourceforge.net/project/disser/disser.tds/1.1.8/disser-1.1.8.tds.zip

or in the gost package in tl.  why not use that instead?

> I use texlive 2009 on Ubuntu Linux, but I can confirm this bug is also
> in texlive 2011.3-4 on Arch Linux.
>
> It would be good if bibtex8 would work on every platform regardless of
> what platform .bst file had been initially created on.

however, it seems eccentric to say you found a copy of something in tl,
and it doesn't work.  mending bibtex8 would be nice, but it's not likely
to happen.

now, if it turns out the the tl copy has problems, you've got a _real_
cause for complaint.