[tex-live] FW: TeX Live file associations

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Wed Dec 5 01:15:43 CET 2012

On 2012-12-04 at 13:19:06 +0100, Siep Kroonenberg wrote:

 > On Mon, Dec 03, 2012 at 09:54:26PM +0100, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
 > > BTW, you recently asked for a way to look into the registry.
 > > Alexander already proposed regedit.  However, examining the registry
 > > with regedit is quite inconvenient.  But there is an export option
 > > which allows you to export it to a text file which you can examine
 > > with Emacs, for instance.  This file is quite large because it's in
 > > UTF-16.  You can reduce the size by the factor two in Emacs:

 > >      --> Mule (Multilingual Environment)
 > >        --> Set Coding Systems
 > >          --> For saving this buffer
 > >
 > > and select utf-8.  In Emacs you can search forward and backward, even
 > > using regexps, within Emacs.  The search function in regedit is
 > > incredibly slow.  It's also much easier to paste an excerpt to the
 > > mailing list from a text file rather than from a GUI tool.
 >
 > For that matter, there are ubuntu packages reglookup and
 > registry-tools for accessing windows registries.

Thanks, I wasn't aware of them, Gentoo Linux doesn't provide them.
But I'm running Debian on a Raspberry Pi and "aptitude search" tells
me that they are available.  But which file(s) contain the registry?
Fabrice once told me that the registry is a distributed database.
I deduce from that, that it's not a single file.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25