[tex-live] xindy doesn't work on windows

Joachim Schrod jschrod at acm.org
Fri Aug 24 10:29:19 CEST 2012

Philip TAYLOR wrote:
> Joachim Schrod wrote:
>
>> The behavior is that way because the author of the Perl standard
>> module File::Temp decided it to be that way. If you think that's a
>> problem, you should probably discuss that with him/her on a perl
>> distribution list, and not here on TL mailing list. Nobody here
>> will be able to change that behavior, and nobody will care. You're
>> barking up the wrong tree.
>
> We have a saying in English, Joachim : "a bad workman always blames
> his tools".

I don't blame them because, for me, usage of TMPDIR is mandanted by
POSIX (actually it's specified in P1003.2d), Windows clames to be
conformant to POSIX, and thus the behavior is correct.

I just don't think that this list is the right place to discuss
your ideas if using POSIX API on Windows is the right thing to do
or not. As I wrote above: Nobody will care. I care for users
problems like the Ulrike's, not for abstract conceivabilities how a
system should behave orderly.

	Joachim

Joachim Schrod, Roedermark, Germany
Email: jschrod at acm.org