[tex-live] xindy doesn't work on windows

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Thu Aug 23 10:58:22 CEST 2012

Am Thu, 23 Aug 2012 12:46:45 +0900 schrieb Akira Kakuto:

> Dear Ulrike,
>
>> So the code tries hard to find a tmp-folder without spaces and
>> fails only if none can be found.
>
> #
> # Experiment by
> #
> use File::Spec;
> $xxx = File::Spec->tmpdir();
> print $xxx;
>
> (1) set TMPDIR="c:¥tst tst tst"
>     TMPDIR is considered nonwritable and prints the default
>     c:¥temp (c:¥temp exists here).
>
> (2) set TMPDIR=c:¥tst tst tst
>     TMPDIR is recognized as writable and prints
>     c:¥tst tst tst
>
> Apparently the double quotes are also considered as characters.
>
> In the case
> set TMPDIR=c:¥tst tst tst
> xindy runs as expected if I use the new xindy.pl:

Yes, without quotes this here works fine too and use the standard
location:

set TMPDIR=%USERPROFILE%\Lokale Einstellungen\Temp

(Quotes get added to variables automatically if one use tab
expansion, so imho the script should be able to handle them)

But this doesn't help with the problem that xindy fails with the
default setting of TEMP in the windows system control: I didn't add
any explicit quotes there. The variable is set as
"%USERPROFILE%\Lokale Einstellungen\Temp" (without the quotes) in
system control and imho that is the default set by the windows
installation.

I think that this problem has to do with the "short pathname":
Somewhere in the script it is not resolved correctly.

This would affect only windows users where "Short File Name
Generation" is enabled.

I have now added a Variable TMPDIR to my system. Perhaps TeXLife
should add such a setting e.g. to tl-cmd.bat.

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/