[tex-live] ctan->tl updates caught up

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Fri Aug 3 02:23:08 CEST 2012

On 2012-08-02 at 22:54:35 +0100, Philip TAYLOR wrote:

 > Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
 >
 > > Sure, but if a program running in the background with higher
 > > privileges prevents other programs from creating/modifying files,
 > > it's a technical problem, not a matter of taste.  You can ask as
 > > many smartasses as you want and everyone has a different opinion
 > > indeed.  It would be more helpful if one of those smartasses
 > > comes up with a technical solution rather than telling us his
 > > opinion.
 >
 > As Yury has already pointed out, the preferred solution if
 > an update cannot replace a file because it is currently in
 > use (by a virus scanner, or anything else) is to queue
 > a boot-time job to replace the file and then advise the
 > user that a re-boot will be needed.

Honestly, if it's necessary to re-boot the system whenever a file
cannot be written due to braindead file system, then the operating
should initialise the re-boot automatically.

I mentioned the smart-asses already.  Is there a directory on Windows
which doesn't interfere with virus scanners?  If true, it's certainly
feasible to install files there and copy them over when tlmgr is
invoked after a re-boot.  If there is a directory which doesn't suffer
from file locking, we could as well install TeX Live there by default.

Phil, do you really believe that all the deficiencies of Windows can
be solved by re-booting the system?  Why, on earth, should one re-boot
at all if the contents of a file is the same before and after a
re-boot?  If a re-boot helps at all, it means that Windows itself is
unstable.

As I said before, personal opinions are not helpful, what we need are
technical solutions.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25