[tex-live] ctan->tl updates caught up

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk
Thu Aug 2 11:45:40 CEST 2012

Reinhard Kotucha wrote:

> If you're using a virus scanner, turn it off while updating TeX Live.

Not a valid solution, Reinhard : no Windows user in his or her
right mind should voluntarily turn off virus protection; it is the
responsibility of the installer to behave correctly in the presence
of such protection, not require that it be turned off, temporarily
of otherwise.

For what it's worth, I run three anti-virus and anti-malware products
concurrently on all my machines, and have /never/ had a problem with
a TeX Live install as a result of any or all of them.  Of course I have
not yet installed TeX Live 2012 (far too early in its release cycle,
IMHO) but if TL2012 has problems with concurrent file access that
did not exist in earlier versions, then this would represent a major
retrograde step.

** Phil.
--
MIL-05991/237/2012-B : Any loss of data or other computer malfunction
resulting directly or indirectly from the use of Linux will be regarded