[tex-live] new release of latex-unicode

Wolfgang Jeltsch wolfgang at cs.ioc.ee
Thu Apr 19 22:17:50 CEST 2012

Am Mittwoch, den 18.04.2012, 23:51 +0200 schrieb Reinhard Kotucha:
> If someone uses control sequences like \ohorn in macro packages
> already, does he have to change them to \horn o when using ucs?

No. The ucs package doesn’t change the way \horn, \ohorn, etc. work. It
just ensures that whenever TeX encounters a Unicode character outside
the ASCII range in the LaTeX file, this is interpreted as a certain
piece of LaTeX code. The question is whether Ơ, ơ, Ư, and ư should be
interpreted as \OHORN, \ohorn, \UHORN, and \uhorn, or whether they
should be interpreted as \horn O, \horn o, \horn U, and \horn u. With
either solution, the user can use the macros \horn, \OHORN, \ohorn,
\UHORN, and \uhorn directly as usual.

> Since I can't oversee the impact of the change, it's better to test
> it.  VnTeX provides a bunch of test files in the directory
>
>   texmf-dist/source/generic/vntex/tests

I’ve tested test-babel.tex and test-vietnam.tex, which are the files
that use ucs. Both seem to work fine.

> Maybe it's advisable to repeat the test with all the other sections
> and LaTeX's utf8 commented out, just in order to make sure that the
> ucs test doesn't see control sequences defined by other packages.

At least, the following minimal example works as expected:

> \documentclass{article}
>
> \usepackage[utf8x]{inputenc}
> \usepackage[vietnam]{babel}
>
> \begin{document}
>
> Ơ, ơ, Ư, ư
>
> \end{document}

I wasn’t able to derive an analog minimal example, which uses the
vietnam package. Maybe, I just have no proper understanding of how to
use the vietnam package. I got complaints about missing babel
definitions for vietnam and such.

Best wishes,
Wolfgang