[tex-live] dvipdfmx on CentOS 5.6 (glibc 2.5)

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Thu Apr 19 01:56:31 CEST 2012

Hi Karen,

On Do, 19 Apr 2012, Karen Ellrick wrote:
>> Yeah, probably my own one, but didn't she said that the original
>> TeX Live installation dvipdfmx failed????
> Yup, that's what I said.  As far as I remember (I suppose I could be

But ... it is not true, sorry.

> compile and that was later), I ran install-tl, then the following
> commands from the instructions on
> http://tutimura.ath.cx/ptexlive/?tlptexlive%A5%EA%A5%DD%A5%B8%A5%C8%A5%EA):
>
>    tlmgr update --self --all
>    tlmgr --repository http://www.tug.org/~preining/tlptexlive/ update --all
>    tlmgr --repository http://www.tug.org/~preining/tlptexlive/ install
>    pmetapost pxdvi uptex

And the second line (the tlptexlive update --all) brought in a different
dvipdfmx that does NOT work on your computer.

This is NOT the original TeX Live dvipdfmx, but binaries *I* provide
for testing.

> The version resulting from all that is the one that failed, and it still
> does.

Of course.

> Yup, just like for Zdenek, the older 806424-byte one works for me:

Ok, case closed.

Sorry for the noise.

> The revision date of the good one is 2011-03-11, which was over a year
> ago (an unforgettable date for all of us in Japan).  Are you sure it
> didn't get recompiled (on a system that has glibc 2.7) between then and
> now and end up in one of the updates to the repository that "tlmgr
> --repository http://www.tug.org/~preining/tlptexlive/ update --all"
> would pick up?  Notice that the date on my "bad" file is 2012-02-20.

The point is:
* main TeX Live ships the binary Zdenek compiled and did NOT change
  the binary during the year. We normally don't do binary upgrades
  within a running year

* tlptexlive is my *private* repository testing the integration of
  uptex into TeX live, and providing fixed binaries (esp eptex fixes)
  based on current TL svn source, but these binaries are built on
  *my* system, that is Debian/sid.

So this is *not* *original* TeX Live.

Now that this is cleared, everything is much easier. Since it
it a problem for you to run my new binaries, you have to
recompile them yourself using my script, that worked.
If you want please send me the generated binaries as mentioned
on the tlptexlive wiki page, and I will check whether they work
on my system, and then I will replace the ones in my repository
with your binaries, so that more people can use it.

Bottom line: Sorry Zdenek, Karl, everyone for the noise!!!!

Best wishes

Norbert
DARENTH (n.)
Measure = 0.0000176 mg. Defined as that amount of margarine capable of
covering one hundred slices of bread to the depth of one
molecule. This is the legal maximum allowed in sandwich bars in
Greater London.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff