[tex-live] sparc-linux build volunteer needed, or it's going away

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Wed Apr 18 23:43:44 CEST 2012

For sparc-linux binaries to be in TL this year, a new build volunteer
needs to come forward.  Otherwise, the precompiled binaries for that
platform will be dropped in the release.  (I rather suspect there are
very few, possibly zero, TeX authors using sparc-linux, since I don't
recall a single report mentioning that platform.)

The background is that I've built sparc-linux the last few years (taking
over from Arthur R), but this year compilation problems related to ICU
have cropped up for the second time.  After extensive debugging in this
area to get things to work a couple of years ago, and some nontrivial
attempts already this year, I feel like I've done my bit and don't want
to spend more time on it.

So ... if anyone is interested in being responsible for building on that
platform, let me know.

Best,
Karl