[tex-live] TL 2011 Segmentation fault xelatex

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 12:41:18 CEST 2011

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 4:49 AM, Pander <pander at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> On 2011-09-19 03:00, Ken Brown wrote:

>>> There is guidance in:
>>>
>>> /usr/share/doc/fontconfig/fontconfig-user.html
>>>
>>> on Ubuntu and debian linux.   This includes examples, but
>>> for TL2011 in the default location, with possibly some fonts in
>>> texmf-local, a minimal example is:
>>>
>>> <?xml version='1.0'?>
>>> <!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM 'fonts.dtd'>
>>> <fontconfig>
>>>   <dir>/usr/local/texlive/2011/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype</dir>
>>>   <dir>/usr/local/texlive/2011/texmf-dist/fonts/truetype</dir>
>>>   <dir>/usr/local/texlive/2011/texmf-dist/fonts/type1</dir>
>>>   <dir>/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/fonts/opentype</dir>
>>>   <dir>/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/fonts/truetype</dir>
>>>   <dir>/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/fonts/type1</dir>
>>> </fontconfig>
>>
>> See also
>>
>>   http://www.tug.org/texlive/doc/texlive-en/texlive-en.html#x1-350003.4.4

"If you do not have sufficient privileges to carry out the steps above" could be
amended to add: ", or if you want limit access to the TeXLive fonts to
a particular
user,"

>> Ken
>>

> My /etc/fonts/font.conf has
>
> <!-- Font directory list -->
>
>        <dir>/usr/local/texlive/2011/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype</dir>
>        <dir>/usr/local/texlive/2011/texmf-dist/fonts/truetype</dir>
>        <dir>/usr/share/fonts</dir>
>        <dir>~/.fonts</dir>

It would have been useful to mention this early on, but it is such an easy
thing to forget.   More useful info is "fc-list -v <fontname> | grep
"file", which
shows what fonts are found by fcontconfig.

> But the problem was this (multiple instances of freefont):

That was the initial difficulty, but others were not able to reproduce
the problem because they had not add the TL fonts to fontconfig's
configuration (at which point the multiple instances bug is revealed).

On OS X the font manager allows you to check for duplicate fonts,
In cases where (presumably different versions of) the same fonts are
installed by the linux distro and TL, it would be useful to have a
simple mechanism to switch between distro and TL versions, check
for duplicates, etc.  The idea behind fontconfig is that it finds all the
fonts on the system and it is up to the application to choose, so in
the end TeX Live needs a way to give preference to fonts from
TL.

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ttf-freefont/+bug/667242
>
> Please help out by logging on to launchpad and click on "Does this bug
> affects you?" and choose "Yes" for the above URL.
>
> Other question, would it be OK to equip TeX Live installer with a
> question to add
>
>        <dir>/usr/local/texlive/2011/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype</dir>
>        <dir>/usr/local/texlive/2011/texmf-dist/fonts/truetype</dir>
>
> or whatever is appropriate to either the begining or ending of the dir
> list in /etc/fonts/font.conf ?

I like to know that TL is entirely contained in the TL tree.   When things go
wrong it is easy to rule out TL.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia