[tex-live] TeXLive2011 + movie15 + beamer + XeTeX

Horst Hohberger horst at sjtu.edu.cn
Fri Sep 2 13:04:38 CEST 2011

I'm new to this list and I hope this is the appropriate place for me to ask about my problem.

I recently got a new computer and so installed MacTeX 2011, previously I had been using the 2009 version. I have used the TeXLive utility to bring the 2011 version up to date today.

I use XeTeX with the beamer package to create presentations and need to occasionally embed movies. I used to be able to do the following with my 2009 installation:

%!TEX TS-program = xelatex
%!TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode

\documentclass[dvipdfmx]{beamer}
\usepackage[dvipdfmx]{movie15_dvipdfmx}

\begin{document}
	\begin{frame}
		\frametitle{Movie Test}
		\includemovie[poster,text={Tacoma Narrows}, mouse, repeat,controls]{.5\linewidth}{.375\linewidth}{tacoma.avi}
	\end{frame}
\end{document}
 Here "tacoma.avi" can of course be any .avi movie, I used a DivX 4.1.2 encoding. I downloaded the file movie15_dvipdfmx.sty from http://asymptote.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/asymptote/trunk/asymptote/patches/

In the new installation, I need to replace the document class with

\documentclass{beamer}

i.e., I need to drop the "[dvipdfmx]" option. This is fine by me. The code still compiles, but when I open the resulting file in Adobe reader 10.1, I get an error message:  A window titled "Warning: JavaScript Window -" pops up and says "Expected a stream object." The movie is not shown.

Furthermore, I just checked the file size: the .avi movie should be included inside the pdf container of the compiled TeX file, but this evidently doesn't happen, as the .pdf file is only 6 kb large.

Everything still works fine in the 2009 installation. I understand that the file "movie15_dvipdfmx.sty" is two years old and perhaps incompatible with TeXLive 2011, but there seems to be no newer version available. Can I make the above code work in some way with TexLive 2011? If not, what are my options for embedding movies in the XeTeX+beamer set-up?

Horst

Dr. Horst Hohberger

Lecturer for Mathematics

University of Michigan - Shanghai Jiaotong University Joint Institute
上海交通大学密西根学院

Phone: +86 134 828 97 417
Web: http://umji.sjtu.edu.cn/personal/horst/

PGP Public Key:
http://umji.sjtu.edu.cn/personal/horst/horst_hohberger.gpgkey

Shanghai Jiao Tong University (Minhang Campus)
Room 218, Law School Building
800 Dongchuan Road
200240 Shanghai
P. R. China