[tex-live] Language-local.dat and list of languages with loaded patterns

Claudio Beccari claudio.beccari at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 23:51:02 CEST 2011

Hi, here I ma again with an innocent glitch I found in dealing with
hyphenation.

Ia am experimenting the patterns for a new language. According to
TeXLive.pdf I inserted the relative lines in language-local.dat and put
this file into 2011//texmf-local/tex/generic/config/

Then I ran "sudo tlmgr generate language.dat" and a new language.dat was
created containing the information relative to my patterns.

then I ran "sudo fmtutils-sys pdflatex" and the pdflatex.fmt and log
files were produced. Opening the .log file the new language defines
language 53.

To this point everything is OK.

The I tested the format by running pdflatex on an already available file
(no matter what it is) end opened the .log file of this run. As you know
the first twenty lines of the log file contain the list of the language
patterns that were loaded; surprise! the new language is not listed
either in the 53rd position or in alphabetical order. No written trace
of the new patterns.

If I run pdflatex on a file the uses that language the patterns
apparently work well, in spite of the fact that the language is not
listed in the log file.

Should I check something else or do you find the same behavior?

Claudio Beccari

(MacTeX 2011, Mac OS Lion)