[tex-live] Two questions about "tlmgr-gui" on Windows

Vladimir Lomov lomov.vl at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 07:38:56 CEST 2011

Hello.

I have two questions about work of tlmgr GUI on Windows (tested on Windows
7 32-bit Ultimate)

1. Why GUI uses different fonts when displays different languages?

See attached screenshot `tlmgr-gui_(ru).png': the Russian works are
displayed using one font while Latin letters (URL in this case) are in
other. Is it possible to use one font for both?

If suppose that given font support native language and Latin alphabet
could "tlmgr-gui" use only one font?

2. Why output from tlmgr run in cmd (terminal) on Windows is unreadable?

When I run tlmgr in cmd (cmd.exe /V:ON /F:ON) as `tlmgr gui' I see in
terminal (cmd) garbage instead of Russian words, see attached screenshot
`cmd-tlmgr-gui.png'. The reason is obvious here: wrong code page (see
screenshot `cmd-tlmgr-gui-2.png'). But if I set UTF-8 as code page for
terminal, `chcp 65001', then result is a bit strange, see also
screenshot `cmd-tlmgr-gui-3.png'.

Suggestions for this two issues?

P.S. IMHO, code page in cmd is similar to locale in (linux)
terminal/console.

---
WBR, Vladimir Lomov

--
Politics and the fate of mankind are formed by men without ideals and without
greatness.  Those who have greatness within them do not go in for politics.