[tex-live] failed messages on updating texlive2011

ravi rv15cap at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 12:17:33 CEST 2011

Hi fellow list members,
I am a newcomer to ubuntu linux and tex. Starting from a fresh installation
with ubuntu 11.10, I installed texlive 2011 from its iso image on a dvd.
Initially, tlmgr didn't work for me as I was denied access. Thanks to help
from Stefan Löffler, I used the following command to get ownership of the
texlive installation:
chown -R "$USER" /usr/local/texlive
After this, I was able to proceed with the command (also changed to the
default net repositor on the tlmgr gui):
 tlmgr update --all
But at the end, I received the following response :

This is a summary of all `failed' messages:
`pdftex -ini -jobname=eplain -progname=eplain -translate-file=cp227.tcx
*eplain.ini' failed
`pdftex -ini -jobname=jadetex -progname=jadetex *jadetex.ini' failed
`pdftex -ini -jobname=pdfjadetex -progname=pdfjadetex *pdfjadetex.ini'
failed
`pdftex -ini -jobname=latex -progname=latex -translate-file=cp227.tcx
*latex.ini' failed
`pdftex -ini -jobname=pdflatex -progname=pdflatex -translate-file=cp227.tcx
*pdflatex.ini' failed
`pdftex -ini -jobname=mllatex -progname=mllatex -translate-file=cp227.tcx
-mltex mllatex.ini' failed
`pdftex -ini -jobname=pdftex -progname=pdftex -translate-file=cp227.tcx
*pdfetex.ini' failed
`pdftex -ini -jobname=etex -progname=etex -translate-file=cp227.tcx
*etex.ini' failed
`pdftex -ini -jobname=pdfetex -progname=pdfetex -translate-file=cp227.tcx
*pdfetex.ini' failed
`pdftex -ini -jobname=xmltex -progname=xmltex *xmltex.ini' failed
`pdftex -ini -jobname=pdfxmltex -progname=pdfxmltex *pdfxmltex.ini' failed

I would appreciate any suggestions to fix this problem.
Thanks,
Ravi