[tex-live] latex2html

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Wed Nov 16 17:01:25 CET 2011

Bob Tennent <rdt at cs.queensu.ca> wrote:

> I'm just wondering why this isn't in TeXLive. I realize tex4ht is
> generally better and that latex2html doesn't use TeX itself but in some
> Linux distributions the latex2html package will *depend* on a full
> installation of something hopelessly out-of-date like texlive-2007 or
> tetex which complicates installation.

linux bundles of tex-related stuff are a constant bother (maintaining
tex in a predominantly linux environment).  the additional problem with
latex2html is it looks _so_ much like abandonware that no-one thinks of
it as a first-line issue.

adding a canonical version to tl might stabilise its situation, but what
of its future?  i think of tex4ht as the texies' solution, latex2html
for hoi polloi; while it stays that way, the effort required to delve
into the maze of twisty little perl is hard to (mentally) justify.