[tex-live] slow installation and update Texlive 2011 portablefrom mounted on WindowsXP

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 13:26:46 CET 2011

2011/11/13 peter knezel <peter.knezel at gmail.com>:
> Well, in fact I cannot describe what "too long" exactly means - it is too
> subjective. :-))
> What I can tell for sure that the device is usb 2.0 type and was connected
> to the rear panel of my PC. Hope this info helps a bit.

I have made a timing test on Linux CentOS 4 and 5, on a dual core and
quad core Intel 4.3 GHz. Network install of scheme full onto a hard
disk takes typically 11 minutes. Copying the installed tree to a USB
stick takes 17 minutes, unmounting (when the remaining cache contents
is written to the stick) takes 8 minutes. Windows users are supposed
to remove the USB stick without disconnecting it safely, therefore the
cache is physically written after each file. I would therefore not be
surprised if the time were doubled in Windows. Thus 50 minutes seem to
me as time limited both by HW and OS.