[tex-live] TeX Live 2010 : odd behaviour after moving to spare system on removable disc

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Mon Nov 7 11:56:02 CET 2011

Following a catastrophic system failure yesterday, I removed
my portable drive from the dead system and installed it in
my spare system, at which point its drive letter changed from
E: to I:.  I adjusted the path on the spare system to remove
the reference to TeX Live 2008 and to include a reference to
I:\TeX\Live\2010\bin\win32.  I then ran TeXworks and compiled
a previously working document, but two strange things happened :
the log became extraordinarily prolix, and it failed to find
my local copy of "Cropmarks.tex", in I:\TeX\Live\Common\TeXMF\Local\tex\plain\local

The prolicity disappeared on a second run (I believe that
it was building one or more format files on the first run,
presumably mistakenly believing that this was necessary)
but it still cannot find "Cropmarks.tex", nor can I find
an option in TLMGR to tell it where local TeX files are
stored.

There are no environment variables starting "TeX...".

Philip Taylor