[tex-live] Request for adding a package to TeXLive

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Fri Nov 4 12:25:10 CET 2011

Am Fri, 04 Nov 2011 10:08:26 +0000 schrieb Robin Fairbairns:

>> While looking at the font setup of this packages: Did you (as CTAN)
>> realized the name clashes with the winfonts package? There are now 2
>> t1tahoma.fd and t1georgia.fd on CTAN.
>>
>> Also the package contains an T1-WGL4.enc which on my system exists
>> already in /fonts/enc/ttf2pk/base/t1-wgl4.enc.
>
> sigh.  as a general rule, we don't detect that sort of thing -- it would
> need scripting to be reliable, and development time[*] is not a resource we
> have a lot of.
>
> i'm rather concerned that the package has droppings of a conversion
> process (i presume that's what's going on) but i really can't bring
> myself to worry that i didn't notice a clash with a package that i don't
> use, and that only exists on the archive inside a .zip.

Yes the packaging is a bit of a problem (and the zip itself is a bit
curious: If you try to open it with the explorer of windows it
looked empty. I had to use 7-zip to get the content.

Nevertheless the font support files for georgia and tahoma it offers
is much better (consistent naming, complete) than the font support
of business-research.

> (i wonder if there's a valid reason _not_ to use xetex for this
> package?  creating pk files from ttfs is _so_ last century.)

The package is meant for use with pdflatex only and then it will (on
windows) use the ttf directly:

\documentclass{article}

\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\pdfmapfile{+winfonts.map}

\begin{document}
\fontfamily{georgia}\selectfont
abc  {\bfseries abc}

\fontfamily{tahoma}\selectfont
abc  {\bfseries abc}
\end{document}

uses:

<C:/WINDOWS/Fonts/tahomabd.ttf><C:/WINDOWS/Fonts/tahoma.ttf>
<C:/WINDOWS/Fonts/georgiab.ttf><C:/WINDOWS/Fonts/georgia.ttf>

> [*] note, i retire in 2014, and if i can keep the cambridge archive
> going afterwards, development time may become slightly free-er, then, if
> ctan hasn't already collapsed for lack of support.  i certainly couldn't
> run the whole netwok on my own -- rainer and i can barely keep up as it
> is.

I know of the problem. But I don't think that I have the knowledge
and the means to help.

--
Ulrike Fischer