[tex-live] Fontconfig for XeTeX versus regular fontconfig

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 00:40:01 CET 2011

2011/10/30 Khaled Hosny <khaledhosny at eglug.org>:
> On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 08:40:35AM +0100, Jonathan Kew wrote:

>> > It turned out not that hard, the attached (very minimal patch) will
>> > cause xetex to always write the full path to the XDV file (or so shows
>> > the dviasm I patched, which makes me feel very confident :p) No idea
>> > how this would affect xdv2pdf, though.
>>
>> It would break xetex on macosx (whether using xdvipdfmx or xdv2pdf),
>> where getFontFilename(engine) will often return NULL.
>>
>> Yes, the change is not hard, as I said earlier, but it does need to be
>> done with care. Probably something like this (untested) would work:
>
> But this leaves the original issue partially unfixed, may be we would
> instead make sure getFontFilename(engine) returns a file name, if
> xdvipdfmx can resolve a file name the font name, then surely xetex can,
> or does sdvipdfmx use some system API that returns font data from
> memory? (off to check the code :) )

Apparently xdvipdfmx _does_ use a different API. If XeTeX were not
able to find a font, it would complain and use \nullfont. However, I
have an error message from xdvipdfmx, not from XeTeX. It seems to me
that XeTeX finds a font bud xdvipdfmx does not. I had problems of this
kind with the Nafees fonts, now (when testing someone else's file) the
same happens with Pothana2000 (Telugu font).

--
Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/