[tex-live] Ubuntu update to 11.10 while texlive 2011 is installed independently

Vladimir Lomov lomov.vl at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 06:34:23 CET 2011

Hello,
** Bernhard Kleine [2011-10-31 14:35:36 +0100]:

> Hallo,

> for the records.
For the record, this is not Linux distro specific ML, but only for TeX
Live distribution. The distro upgrading should be covered by distro
documentation.

> I updated my Ubuntu 11.04 to 11.10 today. Everything went smooth, only
> three packages did not install well: These were tex-common, kile and
> texlive-latex-base.

[Linux distro specific part]
What actual error message was? How do you upgrade the system. How and
where do you install the TeX Live 2011?

> The error was due to installed symlinks for the parallel texlive 2011
> installation.
This shouldn't be a problem if you use proper setup.

> After rebooting I removed with tlmgr the symlinks and reinstalled kile
> again. With the symlinks for texlive 2011 removed, kile and the few
> tex-packages were configured correctly.  Another tlmgr session
> afterwards set the symlinks again, thus ensuring that the compilation
> by kile uses tl2011.

> kile depends on texlive-latex-base and this requires tex-common,
> texlive-base, texlive-common and texlive-binaries. With these five
> packages installed you will have fulfilled dependencies at least for
> kile. For emacs and auctex there will only be a few additional packages
> necessary.

> Two points are therefore to be reminded:

> First: It is better to remove the tl2011 symlinks before updating the
> distribution. Saves time.

> Second: I would not advise to install the full texlive (2009) from a
> distribution, only those parts which are required by other packages.
> Saves much space.

You should always read the documentation and understand how some things
works on Linux.

[Very linux specific]
1. When you installing TeX Live 20XX use default part, usually this is
`/usr/local/texlive' (may be wrong here, because I personally use
`/usr/local/opt/texlive'), and put symlinks into `/usr/local/bin'.

2. Install texlive packages (from Linux distro) either using graphical
tool(s) or console ones (I usually use `sudo apt-get install XXX').

3. Now TeX Live 20XX programs located under /usr/local/texlive and
symlinks to the programs under /usr/local/bin, while programs from
distro packages under /usr/bin, i.e. they live in different places.

4. (Here I completely unsure how different distros work) Make sure (or
don't borther either if all works) that `/usr/local/bin' is searched
for programs before any other directories, e.g. run terminal and execute
    $ echo $PATH
    $ which pdflatex
The first will show the directories in which the programs are searched
for and the order in which they are examined. The second one will show
what exactly program will be used when you issue simple `pdflatex'.

5. Now make a simple document and run it through
latex/pdflatex/xelatex/lualatex using your favorite editor (kile, emacs,
vim, texworks,...) to see what programs is used: either from `/usr/bin'
or from `/usr/local/bin'. If wrong program is used, say from `/usr/bin'
read the documentation to find out how to change PATH variable.

6. Updating/Upgrading: use either graphical tool or from console.
Upgrading from console make sure that use will use `standard'
directories, like below
    $ export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:$PATH
    $ sudo apt-get update
    $ sudo apt-get upgrade
(example for Debian and Ubuntu).
I'm not sure about graphical tool. If it fails then, IMHO, it is wrongly
designed, because it should set PATH to standard directories when
performing package maintaining.

May be it is time to write `a short guide' about `save' way to install
TL along with distro packages?

P.S. Sorry, if my English is poor.

---
WBR, Vladimir Lomov

--
heavy, adj.:
	Seduced by the chocolate side of the force.