[tex-live] TeX Live 2011 on FreeBSD 8.0 i386

Nikola Lečić nikola.lecic at anthesphoria.net
Tue May 31 03:48:22 CEST 2011

Hi Nelson,

Please read the following document:

  http://anthesphoria.net/FreeBSD/TeXLive-2010/bin/README.txt

I prepared it for TL2010 release and it contains everything one should
know about running TL on various FreeBSD releases. The same notes apply
to TL2011 as well, so I believe that everything you described in your
post is explained there. Anyway, I'll comment on the details.

On Mon, 30 May 2011 16:46:46 -0600 (MDT)
  in <CMM.0.94.0.1306795606.beebe at psi.math.utah.edu>
  Nelson H. F. Beebe <beebe at math.utah.edu> wrote:

> While tex and latex from the TeX Live 2011 tree run on simple tests on
> FreeBSD 8.0 i386, xdvi does not:
>
> 	% xdvi story
> 	/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "librpcsvc.so.4" not
> 	found, required by "xdvi-xaw"

Of course. It's a base system library: to get it on 8.X, install
misc/compat7x port:

  # cd /usr/ports/misc/compat7x
  # make install clean

> The build was done on FreeBSD 7.0

No, it's not. It's done on something between 7.2-RELEASE and
7.3-RELEASE (__FreeBSD_version 702106).

> but 8.0 has only these:
>
> 	% ls -l /usr/lib/librpc*
> 	-r--r--r-- 1 root wheel 27980 Apr 14
[...]

As I said, use misc/compat7x to get old libs on FreeBSD-8.X.

> A check of all of the executables in the bin directory show other
> libraries that are missing on 8.0:
>
> 	libGLU.so.1
> 	libfontconfig.so.1
> 	libglut.so.3
> 	libncurses.so.7
> 	libreadline.so.7
> 	libz.so.4

First, on FreeBSD it's incorrect to say that "some third-party library
(such as libGLU.so.1) exists or does not exist on some FreeBSD
release". You can't say that "libglut doesn't exist on FreeBSD-8".
Base system and ports are decoupled on FreeBSD. You can run very old
ports tree (third-party software) on a new base system and vice versa.

Secondly, you mixed in this list base system libraries and those
installed from ports.

Finally, the list itself is not complete. Please take a look at
*.ldd.txt files for first TL2011 pretest build:

  http://anthesphoria.net/FreeBSD/TeXLive-Devel/bin-r22638/

> If someone with FreeBSD 7.0 i386 can send me a URL (or failing that,
> an attachment) for a bundle of those libraries offlist, I'll see
> whether that solves the problem, and report back to this list.

Nobody should send you such files. FreeBSD has official ways to obtain
them:

1. for base system libs, install misc/compat7x port and you
   will have old libraries in /usr/local/lib/compat/
   (and /usr/local/lib32/compat/ on amd64);

2. you can also build any older version of base system libs (I mean,
   you can build any 7.X lib on 8.X), see jail(8) manpage;

3. for third-party libraries, there is misc/tinderbox; this software is
   designed to build any possible combination of base system and third
   party software.

> It would be nice to have a distribution that worked on multiple
> FreeBSD versions.

What do you want to achieve? To make a TL derivative which includes all
possible combinations of base system and 3rd party libs?

What we now have in TL is a maximum in that respect, as I described in
above mentioned document.

As for asy and xdvi, you can't expect to make anything that uses X or
OpenGL libraries to work on multiple FreeBSDs.

HTH,
--
Nikola Lečić = Никола Лечић
fingerprint : FEF3 66AF C90E EDC3 D878  7CDC 956D F4AB A377 1C9B