[tex-live] final TL'10 update imminent

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Wed May 25 15:51:42 CEST 2011

Zdenek Wagner <zdenek.wagner at gmail.com> wrote:

> Long ago we developed the babel module for Hindi but I did not contact
> the LaTeX team to put it to babel. The Velthuis Devanagari package
> contains both hindi.ins and hindi.dtx (as well as generated hindi.pdf)
> in the "doc" directory and generated hindi.ldf in the "tex input"
> directory. The users thus must edit language.dat in order to enable
> it. What would be the best scenario to get this module to babel?

there is no "best scenario" :-(

in detail: we don't have a maintainer for babel, and even if we had,
there are procedural issues with getting on with it.  my view is that
the best your team (and other similar ones) can do is to proceed as
others have, writing "something that works with babel", and when _we_
(latex project) can, we will integrate what you have done.

however, uploading what you already have, to replace the stuff in
ctan:language/devanagari/velthuis (which dates from 2006 or so) might
enable us to get a view of what needs doing.  (or is that not "the"
velthuis devanagari package you speak of?)

robin
ctan maintainer, latex team member