[tex-live] problem with babel package

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Wed May 18 16:01:04 CEST 2011

Manthos <vogia at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have installed texmaker in four different operating systems (vista, xp,
> mint7, ubuntu 11.04) . When I want to write in greek I use the following
> preamble:
>
> \documentclass{article}
>
> \usepackage[english,greek]{babel}
>
> \usepackage[utf8x]{inputenc}
>
> \usepackage{ucs}
>
> \usepackage{amsmath}
>
> \usepackage{amsfonts}
>
> \usepackage{amssymb}
>
> \usepackage{makeidx}
>
> \author{Manthos}
>
> \begin{document}
>
> \end{document}
>
> which works fine in all operating system but ubuntu, where I get the
> following error message:
>
> line 2 ! Font LGR/cmr/m/n/10=grmn1000 at 10.0pt not loadable: Metric (TFM)
> file not found

formal answer:

this is not a tl issue, but an ubuntu one.  for a definitive answer, ask
the ubuntu developers via a bug report there, or something.

answer trying to offer some help:

ubuntu practises micro-management of packages; find the .deb package
that contains grmn1000 and install that.  (we're switching to ubuntu
here, and several of the errors i've fielded have been because some
particular part of tex live isn't loaded by default.  the most recent
one was similar to your problem: a missing font.)

robin