[tex-live] [lltx] Location of recorder file

Philipp Stephani st_philipp at yahoo.de
Fri May 13 12:32:05 CEST 2011

Am 13.05.2011 um 09:15 schrieb Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard:

> Le 13/05/2011 02:08, Philipp Stephani a écrit :
>> I was utterly wrong in blaming LuaTeX: it's purely a LaTeX problem.
>> lualatexquotejobname.tex expands \jobname at every job, forcing TeX to
>> prematurely choose a job name before the first input file has been read. This
>> can be provoked in any engine and format:
>>
> Yep, this is a know problem, documented in lualatex-doc (section \jobname, page
> 12) for example, and already discussed here:
>
> http://tug.org/pipermail/luatex/2010-August/001986.html

Ah, thanks for the pointer. I would have been surprised if I were the first to discover this. Still I think that breaking AucTeX and the decade-long expectation that '\input foo' works as expected should be avoided at all costs.

>> or at
>> least rewritten so that \jobname is never expanded at every job:
>>
> I don't see any way to achieve that at the moment.

In the old thread there have been a few suggestions that would work:
http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/dev-luatex/2009-April/002552.html
http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/dev-luatex/2009-April/002560.html
David's suggestion seems to be very robust to me: it would not break traditional code that assume file names without spaces, and it would make quoting unnecessary. There are certainly other solutions as well, e.g. setting the quoted job name in Lua, but David's suggestions seems to be the most elegant.