[tex-live] Unexpected behavior of updmap --showoptions

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Fri Mar 25 11:55:21 CET 2011

On 2011-03-24 at 17:36:25 -0500, Dan Luecking wrote:

 > Working from a command line shell of Windows 7, issuing
 > any one of the following commands:
 >
 >    updmap --showoptions dvipsPreferOutline
 >    updmap --showoptions pdftexDownloadBase14
 >    updmap --showoptions dvipdfmDownloadBase14
 >    updmap --showoptions dvipsDownloadBase35
 >
 > results in an error message similar to:
 >
 >    Unknown item "pdftexDownloadBase14". Choose one of LW35,
 >    dvipsPreferOutline, dvipsDownloadBase35, pdftexDownloadBase14
 >    or dvipdfmDownloadBase14
 >
 > (The item LW35 works as expected.)
 >
 > Line 747 of updmap.pl says:
 > elsif ($item =~
 > m/"(dvipsPreferOutline|pdftexDownloadBase14|dvipdfmDownloadBase14|dvipsDownloadBase35)"/)
 > {
 >
 > Removing the doublequotes seems to fix it. I don't know if this
 > might be a Windows thing. I know very little perl.

Hi Dan,
it's a bug in the script and your fix is correct, thanks for reporting
it.  I fixed it in the repository (rev. 21825).

I'm surprised that you stumbled over this bug after so many years.

However, there is a newer version of updmap in the repository where
this bug was already fixed.  We intend to switch to the new version
in TL-2011 in order to replace the shell script on Unix.  The main
differences are:

 1. Adapted to work on all systems.

 2. dvipdfm.map will not be created because no program needs it
    anymore.

 3. A few command-line options were added in order to line up with the
    Unix shell script.

The new version is abt 30% faster on Windows and abt 30 times as fast
as the Unix shell script.  I suppose that it's much easier to maintain
if there is only one program for all platforms.

If you want to try it, it's here:

  http://www.tug.org/svn/texlive/trunk/Master/tlpkg/dev/updmap.pl

There is a slight difference now:

  $ updmap-sys --showoptions dvipsPreferOutline
  This is updmap, rev. 21311
  true false
  $ updmap-sys -q --showoptions dvipsPreferOutline
  true false

I'm not sure whether the banner should be suppressed by default for
certain options, but I don't want to introduce a new --verbose option
either.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25