[tex-live] On the TeX Live distribution and package manager for Ubuntu

Bernhard Kleine bernhard.kleine at gmx.net
Tue Mar 15 08:48:22 CET 2011

Am Montag, den 14.03.2011, 17:12 -0600 schrieb Óscar Francisco Guajardo
Garza:
> Hi all.
>
> I'm a Ubuntu user and I'd like to install TeX Live on my computer. I
> usually use Kile for editing my .tex files, so whenever I install it
> in my computer I am asked to install the TeX Live version available in
> the Ubuntu repos. Is it possible to use the Package Manager tlmgr with
> this distribution of Tex Live? I ask it because I don't want to go
> through the trouble of insalling dummy packages or stuff like that for
> using Kile + TeX Live on Ubuntu. Thank you very much in advance.
>
> --
> My goal is to replace my soul with coffee and become immortal.
> Óscar Guajardo
Hi Oskar,

i am in the same situation. with the previous version I had I could
produce a tex-dummy package which took care of all the dependencies and
remove tl2007.

With ubuntu 10.10 this turned out much more complicated so I decided to
have tl2009 in its ubuntu version plus tl2010 as manage by texlive
itsself. Since data space is no longer a problem at least with me, I do
not mind that tl2009 does occupy some space on the harddisk. I have,
however, /usr/local/share now on a separate partition which helps to
maintain my tl2010 and localtexmftree not touched by any system update.

During tl2009 installation you should remove the symbolic links to
tl2010 which would otherwise result in confusion.

Furthermore, before you install kile, these links should be
re-established using "path_to_tl2010"/bin/i386/tlmgr*, otherwise kile
would not compile correctly any tex-document, it would start with tex
from tl2009 and complain about wrong format files. the tl2010
installation in that case still works, e.g. in the kile terminal.

*I run tlmgr through gksu.

Greetings from the Black Forest.

Bernhard