[tex-live] biber in tl2010 on osx?

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Mar 11 02:48:10 CET 2011

On Mar 10, 2011, at 12:49 PM, Maxwell, Adam R wrote:

> On Mar 10, 2011, at 10:34, Philipp Stephani wrote:
>
>> The binaries are always in packages of the form biber-ARCH. Usually the
>> architecture-dependent package is installed when the "base" package is
>> installed, but maybe that has been skipped on your system for some
>> reason. Try
>> tlmgr install biber-x86_64-darwin
>
> Wouldn't it be skipped if you're not running a 64-bit system?
> OS X 10.6.x can still run on 32-bit systems, and I don't think
> MacTeX installs 64-bit binaries under all circumstances.  If
> there's no 32-bit biber, it's more-or-less incompatible with
> MacTeX as shipped, IMO.
>
> --
> Adam

Howdy,

I think the MacTeX installer installs both the 32-bit Universal (universal-darwin) and 64-bit Intel (x86_64-darwin) which is optimized for OS X 10.6 (and won't run under 10.5). Under 10.5 the universal-darwin binaries will be used (and the x86_64-darwin won't even show up in the TeX Distribution preference pane) while both will show up under OS X 10.6.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)