[tex-live] Installing TeX live on MacOS X

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Sun Jun 26 01:24:35 CEST 2011

On Sa, 25 Jun 2011, Angelo Graziosi wrote:
> it installs 'universal-darwin', and all works fine...
>
> But I have seen that also 'x86_64-darwin' is supported, so with choice
> <B>, I have tried to choose *only* 'x86_64-darwin': each time it selects
> also 'universal-darwin', i.e. 2 platforms.

Yes, that is on purpose. After discussions it was decided that for
this year as for the last yers the default architecture for Macs will
be universal-darwin and you cannot deselect that one.

> $ ./tlpretest_repo/install-tl -force-platform x86_64-darwin     <== (*)
>

> but it fails with:
>
> ./tlpretest_repo/install-tl: Extra argument '-force-platform
> x86_64-darwin'...
>
> trying ...-force-platform 'x86_64-darwin' does not help...
>
> The strange things is that trying (*) on other OS, works. i.e. does not
> fails...

That is *really* strange ...and I am a hard time reproducing it, since
as you said, on Linux it is working.

Are you sure you don't have an old install-tl or so hanging around?

Can you run the install-tl with -v or -v -v and see iff it gives more
info why the -force-platform does not work on darwin?

Best wishes

Norbert