[tex-live] Is there a way to get mtmi.tfm font?

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Tue Jun 21 23:24:21 CEST 2011

On 2011-06-21 at 11:14:36 -0500, Peng Yu wrote:

 > I don't have much knowledge on how to install a font. Would you please
 > show me from the following file step by step, what I should do to
 > install the font as system font so that a 3rd party software like
 > Acrobat can use it? Thanks.

On Windows you have to copy the .pfb files and .pfm files to
c:\windows\fonts .  On Linux you have to copy the .pfb and .afm files
to /usr/local/share/fonts.  On Linux you probably have to run fc-cache
afterwards in order to make fontconfig aware of them.  If you don't
have the .pfm/.afm files, I fear that you can't use the fonts with
anything but TeX.

If you want to use system fonts with TeX, run

  kpsewhich texmf.cnf

This tells you which file you have to edit in order to make system
fonts available to TeX.  Add the line

  OSFONTDIR=/usr/local/share/fonts;c:/windows/fonts

to this file.  This should work on Linux and Windows.  OS X and other
Unices might expect system fonts somewhere else.

Follow the instructions in mt11p.zip.  Unfortunately the README
doesn't say *where* to put the files.  Type

  texdoc tds

for more information.  Type

  kpsewhich --var-value=TEXMFLOCAL

in order to find the appropriate texmf root directory.  Finally run

  mktexlsr

in order to update the file database.

Regards,
  Reinhard