[tex-live] Is there a way to get mtmi.tfm font?

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Tue Jun 21 21:05:35 CEST 2011

Philip TAYLOR (Webmaster, Ret'd) <P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk> wrote:

> Robin Fairbairns wrote:
> > Peng Yu<pengyu.ut at gmail.com>  wrote:
> >
> >> The problem for me is that some pdf file use MTMI font. In order to
> >> copy characters in that font from Acrobat, I have to have a system
> >> font of exactly the same. Otherwise, Acrobat will not recognize.
> >
> > but without buying a copy of mtmi, you can't install it as a system
> > font.  however, mtmi isn't for sale anywhere, that i know of.
>
> It doesn't exist : "the font MTMI is a virtual one, combining characters
> from Times Italic with additional characters (such as an italic
> letter v looking less like the Greek letter nu) contained in a font
> RMTMI."
>
> So Yu needs Times Italic, which he probably already has,

really?  costly stuff is adobe times; the times new on a windoze box
won't name match, surely?

> and RMTMI.

which is available where?  there's only a .tfm on ctan

the doc of mt11p says

  "This package is useless unless you buy the fonts called MathTime and
  MathTime PLUS from Y&Y; ..."

quite which part of the package is useless seems difficult to discern,
so i have to take your word that rmtmi (not part of the package) is
usable in its own right.

what's certain is that installing mt11p (as it stands on ctan) will have
no effect on adobe reader -- it contains nothing but metrics and the odd
bit of latex support.