[tex-live] tlmgr update --self

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 18:38:33 CEST 2011

On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 9:58 AM, Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at> wrote:
> On Mo, 06 Jun 2011, Arno Trautmann wrote:
>> I'm wondering wether it is possible to avoid the need to explicitely
>> call update --self when there are tlmgr updates available. I've seen
>
> --self is a very critical thing and should not be done lightly.
> Thus I prefer that it is run separately.
>
> Furthermore, people using the cmd line should:
> - be able to understand this difference
> - should use update --list first, then --all --self if necessary,
>  otherwise only --all

Unless a repository is specified (in a command line or before it)
sequence of commands rather than a single command can produce funny
results as at the specific moment mirror repositories used may be out
of sync and therefore --list (or --dry-run) may be misrepresenting
what --all produces. I have observed such behaviour at some moment.

The same story if one deals with several computers.

Victor